Simone de Beauvoir Municipal Library
Guidelines Lending Library (download)
Children's section (3 to 12 years)
. Free membership is open to children aged 3 to 12 living in Quatre Bornes only.
. Children must be accompanied by their parents or a responsible party for the subscription procedures.
. Applicants must bring the birth certificate of the child, the ID card of the parents, and a recent CWA, CEB or Telecom bill.
. Membership: deposit fee of Rs 100 for 2 books
Adult section (as from 12 years old)
A maximum of 3 books may be borrowed at a time for a period of 21 days.
Membership: deposit fee of Rs 100 / book for a maximum of 3 books
Applicants aged less than 18 years old must be accompanied by their parents or a responsible party for subscription procedures.
Non-residents have to pay the deposit fee and an annual subscription of Rs 60
Renewals, reservations and fines
. Subscribers should present their membership card each time they return or borrow books.
· Adult section members may borrow a maximum of 3 books for a period of at most 21 days.
· Children Section members may borrow a maximum of 2 books for a duration of 21 days. It is advised that parents accompany their children for the borrowing of books.
. All borrowed books must be presented at the counter.
. Books may be renewed only once, and upon presentation of the books.
. Renewals can be made by phone.
· A fine of Rs. 1.00 per book per day is charged on late returns.
· No book can be borrowed without the authorisation of the library officer.
· Books of the reference section are not to be borrowed.
· Members must take precautions with the books/ magazines which they borrow.
· Members will not be able to borrow any further books till they refund the administrative costs incurred by the loss or damaged caused to books in their possession.
· Use of cellular phones is strictly forbidden in the library.
· Schoolbags or large bags are not allowed in the reading room.
· Animals are not allowed in the library
· The Municipal Library cannot be held responsible for losses or thefts which members may be victim of inside the building. A locker service is available at the entrance.
· Smoking, eating and drinking are not allowed inside the library.
· Group work is not allowed.
The Reference Section provides free access to dictionaries, encyclopedias and non-fiction books. With a seating capacity for 50 users, it is open to both the public and library subscribers. We also archive a collection of 768 bound local newspapers as from 1965, and Mauritian books. We display more than 100 English and French titles of local and foreign newspapers and magazines. This section is very popular with both the public and our subscribers who have access to magazines on a wide range of topics: computers, sports, current affairs, business, women, etc.
The cost of Internet access is 50 cents per minute. Printing facilities are available at Rs 2.00 per A4 sheet (Laser - Black & White). Scanning costs Rs 5.00 per document. Users must have a minimum knowledge of how to use computers and Internet
Photocopying facilities are available between 9.00 a.m. and 4.00 p.m. for users of the Reference and Periodicals' Sections. The cost of a photocopy is currently Rs. 1.00 (A4 size) and Rs. 2.00 (A3 size)
Main Library: Monday to Friday 8h45 to 17h00; Saturday: 8h45 to noon
Internet Access: Monday to Friday 9h00 to 16h00; Saturday 9h00 to noon
Reading Points: Monday to Friday: 14h00 to 17h00; Saturday 8h45 to noon